Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Intersection and instructions

I have added an area off of the Pointsware.php page which has some instructions on how to use the software and a description of some of the ideas behind the project.
I also added some function to what gets visualized from the text, now there is a thin magenta line that traces back to any primary concept parents from the set of concepts that were found to be in common between the two query trees.

Also I have done away with the square grid and in its place have allowed the unique concepts to arrange in a cloud, this relieves the tendency for the query tree lines to stack up on top of one another.

I am thinking about maybe looking into a circular presentation of the results but perhaps I should leave it alone and think about the LSA, or writing an interface for the dataset that can run on an Android handheld...

Really what is needed now is for me to spend some time working with creating a lot of different result SVG images and do a little user testing to see where any problems might be showing up. Also I want to look at the different types of data that might be useful to visualize with this type of application, maybe make some test sets and example outputs.

My thought being there is useful information to be found in the network of connections around how we think about the thing we are focusing on.
I cant help but think about the effected range of industry that surrounds automotive manufacturing. There is a nodework of connected buisnesses which have been effected by the loss of jobs due to declining sales in automobiles. each of these buisnesses can be thought of as a line in the dataset where the primary concept is the buisness and the subject compliments are its affiliates, parent companies, products, locations, etc. An analysis of a list of players in the automotive industry might show some interesting dependancies.

All technical analysis aside, I am interested in showing a few examples of Pointsware being used to solve creative problems. After all this whole project stems out of my own desire to understand and systematize the analysis I have observed myself using during fruitful creative studio practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment