Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Notetaking

Quickly a few thoughts on notetaking and the creative process.

One of the main reasons behind my desire to develop this piece of software is I believe short term memory is the place in thinking where conflation, interoperation, synthesizing, and invention happen. Notes on every little remotely interesting thing that occurs to me litter my pockets, desks, hard drives, and everywhere else. These pieces of paper are limited in their usefulness because of their lack of interconnectivity and their difficulty to all be completly reviewed in any expiditious manner. Even a well maintained library of indexed and tidy notebooks eventually becomes to much to look at over time. And while this might be very useful for browsing, it is not capable of doing a targeted creative query to all of the things I have thought over the course of years.

Recall of old yet related thoughts and new relationships into the current mix of questions being asked is a pattern that I have found very fruitful.

Why wait for a specificaly applicable inspiration to strike, when perhapse the most applicable inspiration has struck in the past. And to this end I have become accustomed to a zealous studio practice of recording all possibly interesting thoughs, in the assumption that in the future they might come in handy.(Hmmm, that sounds like some type of brain hoarding, at least this type of hoarding doesnt fillup my closets)


1 comment: